Being part of the curly hair community, I have been searching and researching ways on how to keep my hair moisturized and healthy. I have read and tried many different products and methods. Some of which, I still practice up to this date. And one of them is the no-poo method of cleansing my hair and scalp. I just recently came across this method and I swear, I am not going back. No-poo means no shampoo. Can no shampoo washing clean the hair and scalp? Yes, you can clean your hair without the use of traditional shampoo. This does not mean that you will not wash your hair. It is washing your hair using alternative products and even things that you can see in your pantry.
HOW TO WASH YOUR HAIR WITHOUT SHAMPOO?
Washing without shampoo makes hair care feel incomplete. If you are new to shampoo-free hair care, you might doubt its effectiveness. But once you get the hang of it, you can see an improvement in your hair and scalp. No poo hair care works best for curly and coarse hair. It does not strip off the natural oils from your scalp that helps in moisturizing the strands. Here are some alternative ways to wash your hair without shampoo:
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar
Dissolve baking soda in water to create a paste. Gently scrub the wet hair with the paste and rinse thoroughly. Mix 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with water and rinse the hair. Just a reminder that baking soda might irritate your scalp and affect your head’s natural ph. Apple cider vinegar might also leave a smell in your hair if not rinsed properly.
Washing with conditioner
This is the no-poo method that I practice. I skip the shampoo and go straight to the conditioner. When I feel that my hair is getting heavier or when I feel that there is product build-up on my hair and scalp, I would wash my hair with my regular shampoo.
Wash with water
The simplest way to no-poo is just to wash your hair with water. Although I need to warn you, it might not feel as clean after your shower. This natural hair wash works best for those who do not sweat a lot and who do not have oily scalp. Otherwise, I recommend you to try the other methods.
BENEFITS OF SHAMPOO-FREE HAIR CARE FOR YOUR HAIR AND SCALP
- Natural oils are retained in your hair. This is most beneficial for those with curly and coarse hair.
- Unlike traditional shampoos, no-poo hair care minimizes the application of harmful chemicals in our hair and scalp.
- This is a cheap alternative to your regular shampoo. Natural hair wash ingredients like baking soda and apple cider vinegar are usually found in your pantry. No need to spend on expensive shampoo.
- Lesser commercial product consumption means lesser waste. You are taking care of your hair at the same time, taking care of the environment.
TIPS ON TRANSITIONING FROM SHAMPOO LIFESTYLE TO NO-POO LIFESTYLE
If you are ready to jump to a no-poo lifestyle, here are some tips on how to switch from shampoo to no poo.
- Slowly transition your way to the no-poo lifestyle. Try lessening your shampoo session until your hair and scalp are finally adjusted to no shampoo cleansing. If you shampoo every day, start doing it every other day, then every two days until you are fully comfortable with no shampoo at all.
- Find which method works best for you. For those with oily hair and scalp, you might still need to shampoo to clean your hair. So instead of doing an all-out no-poo, maybe just lessening the shampoo session is your best fit.
- If you have a history of skin disease or scalp irritation, consult your physician before using any no-poo method.
If you are considering switching from your shampoo lifestyle to a no-poo lifestyle, you need to do your homework first. Study the method and analyze if this works for you. Switching to the no-poo method is relatively safe and offers very little risk. But it is always best if you know what you are doing and what you are getting from the method.